Dry needling is an invasive procedure where a fine needle is inserted into the muscle. Trigger point dry needling can be carried out at superficial or as well as deep level.
- Superficial – the insertion of needles to 5-10mm for 30 secs.
- Active trigger points can cause pain, muscle weakness, and also restricted ROM.
- The formation of trigger points is caused by the creation of a taut band within the muscle.
- Pain caused by trigger points is due to hypoxia and decreased bloodflow
The needle may cause a small focal lesion. This triggers satellite cell migration which thus repair damaged myofibers.
- Needle phobia/ fear/ also for unwilling patients
- Abnormal bleeding tendency
- Compromised immune system
- Vascular disease
- Patient allergies
- trigger point dry needling may be beneficial for low back pain with other treatments
- reduces/removes nociceptive input
- normalize synaptic efficacy
- reduce peripheral and also central sensitization.
- restore muscle activation and range of motion
- dry needling helps in improving pain, function, and also strength.
- It helps improve quality of life
- Dry needling helps release trigger points and thus relieve tight muscle bands.
- Tenderness on palpation Is greatly reduced
- It helps and enhances tissue healing as well as pain.
Also read- https://vcurehealthcare.com/persistent-neck-shoulder-pain-read-about-trapezitis/