The appendix is a small pouch that projects out from the lower right side of your abdomen. The inflammation of the vermiform appendix is called appendicitis. It may also result in necrosis and perforation.it usually requires a surgical intervention.
Causes of appendicitis-
- obstruction of the appendiceal lumen
- appendiceal tumors
- intestinal parasites
- Dull pain around stomach and also navel
- Pain is usually in the lower abdomen, may also occur in rectum or low back areas
- diarrhoea or constipation
- reduced appetite
If pus builds up in the appendix it eventually bursts, causing severity of symptoms.
This can cause inflammation of the peritoneum that lines the inner wall of the abdomen. This is thus a life-threatening complication.
Diagnosis- of appendicitis
Ct/ xrays/ sonographies
elevated WBC count >20,000 mm3.
Antibiotics- for patients who are too frail to undergo a surgical procedure. A few cases may however resolve with antibiotics if they aren’t of much severity.
Laparotomy- if infection has spread because of rupture of appendix
Physical therapist may see patients for post surgical rehab. Therapist should be aware of the incision site. It is commonly between the anterior superior iliac spine and umbilicus.
- avoiding strenuous activity
- supporting the abdomen when coughing
- breathing exercises- to maintain cardio respiratory health.
- taking care of incision site- should be inspected on a regular basis.
- proper sleeping postures- to avoid pressure on incision site and also to relieve areas of pressure arising out of bony prominences
- pillow positioning to avoid strenuous activity, and also for assisted coughing
- gentle mobility exercises
- ambulation may be started at a later stage when the incision site is healed.