Good posture is essential for the body. Posture helps keep your muscles and joints in prime alignment, which isn’t easy to maintain. Due to technological era, we often slouch. Let us look at a few yoga aasan to help correct posture.
How can yoga help?
- Stretching helps align the spine and the vertebrae.
- Promotes relaxation
- Corrects alignment of joints
- Relaxes the mind
- Reduces stress on body
- Eases flexibility of muscles
Examples of yoga poses to improve posture-
Tadasana – The Mountain Pose
- Feet should be placed hip width apart and parallel to each other with Your toes pointing forward.
- Keep your shoulders wide relaxed.
- Align your head so the chin is parallel to the floor
- the crown is directly over the centre of your pelvis.
Veerbhadrasan – Warrior Pose
- Begin in down dog position.
- Round your right knee towards the nose
- place your right foot in between the hands.
- Move your left heel down.
- Windmill the arms open.
- The left arm reaches towards the back of the mat; the right one reaches the front.
- Keep the right knee at a 90-degree angle.
Vrikshasan – Tree Pose
- Stand up straight and shift your balance on to your right foot.
- Place the sole of your left foot onto your inner thigh.
- Carefully balance yourself and raise your hands to your chest.
- Hold for 1 minute
- Repeat other side
Sukhasan- The Comfortable Pose
- Sit with your legs outstretched in front.
- Keep your back erect.
- Place your palms on the floor behind your hips, fingers pointing backward.
- Flex your legs so that the foot comes just under the opposite thigh.
- rest your hands on the knees.
- Keep the spine, head, and neck erect.
- Relax and breathe
Virasan- Hero pose
- Kneel on the floor with your knees under your hips.
- The hands should rest on your knees.
- Firmly press the top of your feet on the floor.
- Gently lower your hips.
- Point toes outwards and back.
- keep your inner ankles drawn in.
- Pull in your navel and extend your tailbone from the crown of your head to the floor.
- Relax and breathe
Bhujangasan- Cobra Pose
This pose gently stretches the spine and opens the chest, reversing rounded shoulders and upper backs.
- Lay on your stomach
- lift your head and upper torso.
- Align your elbows underneath your shoulders.
- Look straight ahead and hold.
The final word
Regularly strengthening the back and core muscles can improve posture. It also helps reverse the adverse effects of poor posture.
Poor posture has a lot of effects on the body. the muscles may become weak and some might become tight. Due to postural adaptations, pain may arise out of poor posture.
On the other side, maintain a good posture leads to overall well being. The position of muscles is maintained in a healthy state. These simple yoga aasan not only improve posture but also help in improving balance, muscle strength and flexibility, causing relaxation of both mind and body!