What is malnutrition?
A deficiency of energy and nutrients in ones diet refers to malnutrition. It causes an impact on body composition or function. It affects individuals of all countries.
- protein-energy malnutrition- it is the most common form in which an individual either gets too little protein, too few calories, or both.
- Kwashiorkor and marasmus are two types of mal nutrition. Children with marasmus have their fat and muscles waste away.
- People who do not receive vitamins and minerals for a long period of time may develop different disorders.
- Obesity is also a form of malnutrition, where body consumes more calories than it can use thus causing the body to have much extra fat.
More about Malnutrition-
- Recent changes to the food system, such as availability of ultra-processed foods, promote an increased weight gain.
- Exposure to undernutrition early in life is an issue in a lot on low income countries.
- Presence of being overweight from childhood onwards increases the risk of hypertension, diabetes, stroke and cardiovascular diseases. Maternal obesity promotes childhood obesity
Preventive measures to address malnutrition-
- Eating a healthy diet
- Make sure to get enough physical activity and sleep
- Address population for high risk obesity
- Promote intake of essential nutrients in children
- Address a healthy diet and care for pregnant and lactating women
- Protein diet
- Ensure to have a proper intake of the required calories
- Promoting awareness in maternal population
- Increasing awareness in the general population to address and prevent malnutrition